Monday, May 16, 2011

last long run before KBVCM

Saturday I did my last long run leading up to KBVCM. The goal was to run my projected finish time (and then some). That test, combined with my two 16 milers with 8 and 10 mile race pace sections (done weekend before last, and pending this Saturday), would hopefully leave me in good stead for the Marathon itself.

I'd felt a little flat the last couple of days and woke late, but gamely set out nonetheless, first setting my GPS watch to only show me time. Without any pace feedback, I settled at a pretty easy speed. My course consisted of one loop (7.5miles), one out-and-back (7.35 miles), a second out-and-back into Wellesley (6.57 miles), and a final out-and-back along my home road (2.83 miles). Grand total: 24.25 miles:

Split

Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summ:

03:10:06 24.25
07:50


00:59:38 7.50 07:57


00:57:47 7.35 07:51


00:51:09 6.57 07:47


00:21:30 2.83 07:36

I felt pretty happy about that, particularly the fact that I unconsciously negative split each lap. The mileage did take its toll, though, and I ended up pretty useless for the rest of the day. Aside from Saturday productivity, the only casualty was my wrist:

Apparently my GPS banging against my wristbone for 22 miles doesn't do anything, but for 24 it's a whole different story.

I've been fairly consistent with my training, and have three solid weeks of 60+ mileage under my belt (which is pretty high for me). On top of that, I've actually been doing some quality along with my volume, in particular "Tempo Run Tuesdays" and good amounts of marathon pace training during the long runs. All of which is to say, I'm feeling ready. So ready, in fact, that a niggling voice has started to intrude. It says: What about 2:59?

Stupid, scary voice.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, sounds like you are ready. I know that voice too. It's the reason I can never settle on a marathon pace until the day of the race; it always wants to go faster.

    Glad to see that I am not the only one suffering from watch-induced wrist injuries. Who says running isn't a dangerous sport!?

    Enjoy the taper, try not to go stir-crazy.

    ReplyDelete