Monday, April 19, 2010

spectating the Boston Marathon


Today I biked into Wellesley to watch the Boston marathoners go by. This was only the second boston marathon I've spectated in person, and I had a much better cheering spot this time. The runners really lucked out weather-wise; it was chilly but not super-windy, and it rained nary a drop. All told a beautiful early spring day. It was really inspiring to watch the elites go by: nothing but flow, a pure harmony of motion. What other terrestrial animals run like that? Us and timber wolves, and huskies, maybe.

When the men passed by Hall was in the lead, which I thought was not his plan (what happened to finding a happy middle between leading and settling in at the back of the pack?) All the same, looking at the results, he clearly knew what he was doing since he ran such a great time. Not a win, but what can you say to 2:05:51? That's not just great, that's a staggering time for Boston. You've got to give it up for the new Robert Cheruiyot; he earned it!

I was looking for GNRC jerseys the whole time, but didn't see any! (I hung around 'til 1 o'clock, and I was pretty near the half-marathon mark). You guys must have slipped by me in the crowd. Hopefully my hooting and hollerin' cheered you on in spirit!

3 comments:

  1. When I saw Hall (at 15.5.) he was a hundred yards behind the pack... I was shocked to hear he had nearly gotten third. I thought he had wrecked himself by taking it out so fast. GUess not! Proud of our USA men! Hall is so tall--and so ? like a Greyhound? Almost not human-like.
    Anyway, I saw about 1/3 of the 19 people I was looking for. It's hard when the crowds get so thick.... I was bummed to miss so many--but I did see Rose, Mike G, Tracey, and several friends that aren't GNRCers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the finish line for the elites and it was a sight. Cheruiyot was all alone down Boylston and he was strong right through the finish. The ladies were fun to watch as well, it became a race in the last half mile.
    I saw virtually no one I knew, just Mel B and a couple of friends. At&t deserves a right smacking for failing to send any of the alert texts. The BAA website also stopped updating the 40k mark so everyone ran by me without my knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the times this year! So inspiring..

    ReplyDelete