Friday, January 29, 2010

Bracing for tomorrow

I'm bracing for another try at that 10K. You know the one...the one you have to run 20 miles to get to. Rather than running in fear of the opposing force--let's call it The Resistance--I'm going to go out looking for it. The goal will be to run until I find the Resistance (or, all right, mile 24), and then run another two miles, right into its teeth. My hope is to gain some insight into whether there is anything on the other side. Even if I don't find out, I'll be able to walk away with pride if I can wrestle the old bastard for two miles.

It's supposed to be about 5 degrees out when I start tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to pick up some chemical hand warmers tonight if possible, since that's the only part I really worry about. It's especially bad on a run since once my hands have gotten too cold it's tough to feed myself. For similar reasons I am a bit undecided about my route. I would love another crack at the loop I failed at last week, but another walk back from Walpole in single-digit temps would be brutal. Now that I think about it I'll probably keep it local and swing by Vello's at 7. Maybe see some GNRCers for a change!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck. I await to hear your analysis of the other side... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it go? I am being a huge wimp and waiting until the temp reaches at least 20. Probably noontime for my 16 miler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave,
    Hope the run went well. Here's a link to some interesting discussion about the minimalist/barefoot running topic:
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/01/running-barefoot-vs-shoes.html
    The original study now has a website too:
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/
    I think it's interesting that the motivation of competitive runners and habitually barefoot persistence hunters are quite different. When we take cues from the Tarahumaran or the San Bushmen we might remember that they are running for an unspecified distance but a well-established goal (finding food). Modern runners like ourselves generally know exactly how far we're racing (or get angry at the finish line).c I know the San were reported to run 10 minute miles or so. Quite different from 5 minute miles, enit.
    Cheers,
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I don't know how to post links on these blog things. Go to runningtimes.com for links to both of the sites listed above.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. @joel, yeah, absolutely, Marathon Sports mentioned that article in their last flyer, and I thought it made some interesting reading. I thought it especially interesting that the unshod running foot strike generates lower load forces even than walking. Maybe next they'll corroborate another of my implausible-sounding suspicions--that in icy conditions on reasonably flat terrain, it's actually easier to avoid falls while running than walking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you were able to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a good study the other day that theorized that: Sitting can kill you! The more you sit, they suggested, the more likely you are to die from obesity, heart attack, or even death!

    ReplyDelete