Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thank you I'd like to have my legs back, now

I know it's only been 6 days, but I'm ready for my legs to stop feeling so dead and flat. It's hard when it's so gorgeous, and just the perfect weather for a long run. I've been running every other day. Yesterday I did 5 and...yeah; still pretty dead.

Last post I implied I was going to run a fall marathon. Well, I thought about it, and now I think I AM going to wait a year before taking another shot. I found through the last cycle that I enjoyed the mileage I was putting in, but I did feel like it constricted my racing options quite a lot. I skipped JJR entirely because I couldn't figure out a way to make it work with my long run. And marathon training inevitably means less speed training. I've been spending a lot of time running no faster than 10K pace, and that's making me impatient. I'd like to get back to actually improving my 10k pace--which I think is a pretty soft PR (albeit, not as soft as my marathon pr).

So the tentative plan is: finish off my long running phase with Highland Sky, then get back to speed training, with hopes of running a fast 10k in the fall, hopefully followed by a reasonably fast 1/2 marathon at Applefest. I will post later with a more comprehensive race schedule, but right now I expect to reprise the Bridgton 4 on the 4th, and run the Marathon Sports 5M for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. I so wanted to comment on the race report but it is never easy to figure out what to say when someone's plan goes wrong.

    Marathon training forces you to give up a lot in terms of racing because it requires such a huge sacrifice. I've felt the same desire as you to get out and race but my schedule just hasn't allowed it. Last week I ran the only race since my last marathon and I did so well that I wish that I could be out doing more. But I made a commitment to the marathon.

    So I guess what I am saying is, do what you want to do the most. It's hard to pass up so many fun events now that the warm weather is here. You did your marathon, now go have some fun and reward yourself for all the training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! I'm going to. Time for some fun summer races. I will grapple with the heavy soul-searching long endurance challenges some more next year :-)

    ReplyDelete