Thursday, November 26, 2009

A day of mist and rain.

I am in my hometown of Simsbury, CT today in consequence of our national turkey-eating festivities. It's a cool, drizzly day outside with no hint of sky to be found, but inside it is all the more cozy for alll that! Our familial feast is on for tomorrow, which has left me today to get in my long run for the week and then ruminate about it publically.

I stepped out the door at 6am, looking to run 18 miles -- the second time I've gone that distance. I was running with a pack containing a vest (in case I played out and had a long walk back home), a bladder with half-and-half gatorade and water, and about a box worth of granola bars. My initial plan had been to run up to the Heublein Tower and then down through Penwood state park, but I chickened out a bit at the thought of the long ascent up 185 followed by the access trail to the ridge-line, and headed towards Tariffville to pick up the ridge-line trail there.

The fog and drizzle were such that the dawn came on almost imperceptibly. Everything was quiet, except for some early bird-song caroling out from the river banks. I had some soreness in my left foot, but hoped it would go away after the first few miles.

Once up on the ridge I was treated to a really beautiful view of the valley filled with mist, the far hills across the way just barely visible as islands above a white sea. My spirits rose, but alas I wasn't to be treated to many more such views as my recollection of the trails was poor and I missed the upper ridge trail. When I checked my watch for the first time I found I had only gone 6.8 miles! Ugh...it seemed I had been running much longer than that. I had a granola bar at mile 9 and felt better.

Foot continued to be sore, but it stayed manageable. I made it to Rt 185 in good shape and spared a regretful look for the access road up to the Tower. Some other time! Around mile 12 I fished out another granola bar, but try though I might my clammy fingers wouldn't open the foil wrapper. I tried my teeth too, but without success. Eventually I gave up, but the episode was too funny to be discouraging. I started trying to guess where I'd hit mile 15, deliberately low-balling so I wouldn't be disappointed later by finding out I wasn't as far as I thought.

A few more miles brought me into Stratton Brook Park, and I actually managed to catch some joggers ahead of me (I had been running 9 minute miles up on the ridge, but I suppose I picked up a little speed once back on the road). The springy trail was a great relief, but my foot was still bothering me and I was trying not to favor it. From there it wasn't far to home; I started a new lap, and my pace dropped down below 8 minutes again.

The run came out to almost a perfect 18 miles, and I felt like except for the foot I probably could have done another two or three in pretty good shape. Foot is now quite sore and I'm thinking I'll take tomorrow off.

Lesson learned: Open granola bar wrappers ahead of time!

Mileage tracker:
M: 9
T: 5 (vffs, some speed mixed in. Foot starts to hurt).
W: 9
Th: 18

1 comment:

  1. This run seems familiar, Dave. Maybe back in senior year of high school we pounded this out before a game of Diplomacy. Sorry you skipped out on Hublein, baby!

    ReplyDelete